An important part of the potty training process is to move toddlers from diapers to potty training pants. Keep in mind that training pants are not diapers - they aren't very absorbent even with a liner.
I assume you already know that, but there are stories of new parents who got a rude awakening when moving to training pants. I don't want that to happen to you.
What Are Toilet Training Pants?
Training pants help toddlers learn how to take off their pants and underwear while using a toilet. When a toddler uses a diaper, he or she doesn't really have to do anything. They just go.
When your child makes a jump to potty training they now need to build in enough "lead time" to get to the toilet and be ready to use it. This is going to take some time. During that period, they will have accidents - most training pants are easy to clean up.
Another feature of most training pants is they keep wetness close to the skin. This way, your child can feel when they have gone, rather than a diaper which whisks away the urine to keep your toddler dry. This is another clue for your youngster, and will help speed up the training process.
How Do You Decide What Are The Best Toilet Training Pants?
I'm going to level with you here...
...there are no "best" training pants for everyone. No matter what you might read from others on the internet, there are several different brands and styles that will work fine for your child. This isn't like selecting a heart surgeon - we're picking an item of clothing that's going to be soiled repeatedly.
That said, there are plenty of bad choices. The purpose of this article is to help you avoid the bad, and give you a few good products that will work great for your kid.
Here's what you need to look for when you buy trainers:
- Cotton Material: These are going to get wet, and they are on a sensitive part of your kid's body. Cotton has ended up working well through the years. It will absorb most of the wetness, yet still leave the wet sensation so your child can learn.
A cotton blend is ok as well - but look for at least 90% cotton if you go this route.
- Seam Coverage: Generally, trainers will have some sort of elastic material around the leg holes to make sure nothing leaks out. Poorly made trainers can have exposed seams which are a problem. If wet enough, they can chafe. Your child (and you) don't need that misery in your life.
- Absorbance: There are a few way to get this. Some use a terrycloth like cotton in strategic areas. Other products have a liner. Ideally you want to keep the pee in the training pants without having it leak all over the clothes. No product will do this ALL the time, but a quality one will keep "pee-throughs" to a minimum.
Recommend Quality Potty Training Pants
I know you are busy (you're a parent). Therefore I've picked a few products that fit the bill. The first two are the boys and girls version of Gerber's product. The next two recommendations are for more absorbent trainers from brands you might not know. All of these are fine choices - you'll need to decided what feature is most important to you.
The potty training of kids involves a psychological part where they love to imitate their parents. The potty training pants from Gerber are designed like big kid pants, thus is quite ideal for your daughter who will like to imitate her big sister by wearing them. These pants are the perfect choice for potty training and should be used when your kid starts showing control of her bladder and bowel movements.
These training pants are made of 100 percent cotton and come fitted with an absorbent interlining. The soft elastic waistband allows for easy removal and provides increased comfort to the waist. These pants are quite durable and you can use them multiple times as they are washable and just require a machine wash and tumble dry to make them ready for reuse. Gerber Little Girls' 4 Pack Training Pants are available in a variety of sizes and color patterns.
- Comfortable and non-itching cotton fabric
- Reusable—only requires machine wash and tumble dry
- Inside panels made of 100 % cotton and fitted with absorbent lining
- Covered elastic waistband does not pinch or chafe skin
- Easy to pull up and down
Gerber Little Girls' Training Pants are designed for toddlers who are ready to transition from disposable diapers to cloth training pants. Gerber has been in the service of its customers for last many years which makes it quite popular and is a recognized brand for potty training toddlers.
The potty training pants from Gerber are designed like “big boy” pants, thus are quite ideal for little boys who want to imitate their big brothers. These pants are the perfect choice for potty training and should be used when transitioning your kid from diapers to cloth underwear. These training pants are made of 100 percent cotton and come fitted with absorbent interlining. The soft elastic waistband allows for easy removal and does not pinch the skin. You can use them multiple times as they only require a machine wash and tumble dry to make them ready for reuse. Gerber Little Boys' 4 Pack Training Pants are available in three sizes and two designs.
- Made of comfortable and non-itching cotton fabric
- Inside panels made of 100 % cotton and fitted with absorbent lining
- Covered soft elastic waistband for comfort
- Easy to use
- Not 100 percent waterproof
Gerber Little Boys' 4 Pack Training Pants – Blue are designed to train toddlers into noticing the discomfort of wet pants. As these pants are very light and soft to the skin, they are perfect for transitioning from diapers to potty training pants.
These reusable potty training pants are designed to provide ease of usage for toddlers and are easy to pull up and down. The wide rib leg bands provided in this underwear provide a comfortable fit. Though it is not 100 percent leak-proof, it comes with a waterproof interlining which helps in containing a majority of the mess. Made of 90 percent cotton and 10 percent polyester, it provides toddlers with a feeling of wetness, which plays a major role in potty training.
The cotton ribs are lined with terry padding to provide the maximum level of absorption. Green Sprouts Unisex Baby Training 2 Pack Underwear is available in three sizes and three color/design variants.
- Pull up design for potty training
- Naturally absorbent material used
- No superabsorbent gels or harsh chemicals used in this product
- Manufactured using high grade natural material
- Breathable and absorbent material
- Can be tight around the legs and waist
- They come in a 2 pack - you're going to want to pick up a few packs to make sure you have enough clean pairs on hand.
These training pants do not wick moisture away from the skin, which motivates the toddler to use the potty whenever the urge hits. As these pants are reusable, they are worth the money spent on buying them.
These training pants are manufactured using 100 percent cotton which makes them quite comfortable and stretchable. In order to absorb accidental urine discharge, the crotch area is made up waterproof terry. These pants are quite easy to wash as you just have to machine wash and tumble dry and they are ready for reuse. They come in a pack of five assorted designs and are available in sizes ranging from S (18 months), M (2T) and L (3T).
The package contains five different patterned training pants. These pants are quite suitable as underwear for preventing wetting outside the trousers or pajamas. They are much softer than paper diapers and help in preventing diaper rash and itching of the skin.
- More effective in preventing wetting outside the trousers
- Much softer as compared to paper diapers
- Available in three different sizes
- New brand with quality designing
- Natural material used in manufacturing of outer shell with terry material inside for waterproofing
- Easy to use
- Some users reported poor stitching in earlier versions of this product.
- Not made in the USA.
Dimore Baby Toddler 5 Pack Assortment Cotton Training Pants quite a bargain if you are looking for a pack of five training pants at a reasonable price.
If you want to buy name brand potty training pants for your daughter, then the best option for you is the Gerber Little Girls' 4 Pack Training Pants; and if you want to potty train your boy, you should opt for Gerber Little Boys' 4 Pack Training Pants as they are manufactured using 100 percent cotton and are made by Gerber.
This company is recognized for its line of baby products. Gerber has a proud tradition of quality, and it really shows in their training pants.
If you are looking for a good bargain, then the Dimore Baby Toddler 5 Pack Assortment Cotton Training Pants are a great choice as you get great value for the money.
If you have any other recommendations, or questions about potty training pants, please let me know in the comments.